Thursday, August 28, 2008

Captivating

Last Sunday night I joined an amazing group of ladies in the study of the book Captivating by Jon and Stasi Eldredge. It is Unveiling the Mystery of a Woman's Soul.
I have to admit, I was a little intimidated to go to the group at first but didn't want to appear that way. I haven't been involved in a small group in a long time so I didn't know what to expect. And besides, they had already met once before so they were acquainted and already a step ahead of me.

When we arrived, I was introduced to two ladies I didn't know and we dove right into the study. It was one of the best talks I have had in a long time. I was open, I was honest, I was able to spill my heart to 5 people that I didn't know very well.
There is a God thing about that!!! I had an assignment from my doctor that I had yet to complete. I needed to talk to 5 people. It's funny how things work out at times. It was all difficult....but comforting at the same time. I'm glad I was there.

So onto the book! Chapter 1 is really just getting into the heart of a woman. Here are some things that stood out to me:

I am not enough, and I'm too much at the same time.
Not pretty enough, not thin enough, not kind enough, not gracious enough, not disciplined enough, too emotional, too needy, too sensitive, too strong, too opinionated, too messy. The result is Shame, the universal companion of women. It haunts us, nipping at our heels , feeding on our deepest fear that we will end up abandoned and alone! (REALLY??? Wow...I've said that a few hundred times)

We long to be the BEAUTY of some great story!
When we are young, we want to be precious to someone- especially Daddy.
"No boy will love you if you're fat" her father told her! (wow!)

We've missed the point! Prov 4:23
Our heart is who we are and the most important thing about us.
Most of our addictions as women flare up when we feel that we ARE NOT LOVED OR SOUGHT AFTER!!!
We want to believe there is something in us that is needed and needed desperately.
Passionate and powerful women are beautiful.
We were made to be a part of a great adventure. One that is shared!
Our lives were meant to be lived with others.
We long to be an irreplaceable part of a shared adventure.
We desire to be captivating in the depths of who we are!

A woman years to be seen, and to be thought of as captivating. We desire to possess a beauty that is worth pursing, worth fighting for, a beauty that is core to who we truly are. We want beauty that can be seen; beauty that can be felt; beauty that affects others; a beauty all our own to unveil.

A woman in the presence of a good man, a real man, loves being a woman. A man in the presence of a real woman loves being a man.

Most women end up living two lives. On the surface we are busy and efficient, professional, even. On the inside women lose themselves in a fantasy world or in cheap novels, or we give ourselves over to food or some other addiction to numb the ache of our hearts. But our heart is still there, crying out to be set free, to find the life our desires tell us of.

God made me to be Glorious, powerful, and captivating!

No comments: