Saturday, August 04, 2007

Back home and no sleep....

Okay, so we got home from camp yesterday and I had to be back at work early today for such a long day.

You know how you feel after a long hard day? I mean... A LONG DAY! Well, I was coming home and an ambulance passed me. Little did I know they were pulling into my neighborhood. I get here to find my nice little neighbor across the street had fallen and couldn't get up. I went over to see if I could help in any way.

About 3 years ago her husband passed away and she's been alone ever since. We have other neighbors here, but they are about as old as she is and don't like to be out after dark. She didn't have any family in town so I decided to go back to the hospital with her so she wouldn't be alone. Now here I sit...running on adrenaline, and can't go to sleep and have to leave in 6 hours to go back to work to take on another full day.

I sat with her...we laughed together, we cried together, and I did what I could to ease her pain.
Do I care that I'll be tired tomorrow? Not really. Do I care that my feet hurt? Nope. Do I care that she was comforted by me being there, yes.

She broke her hip...a pretty good break. And will now have surgery. I can see her at work now, not out the front windows. But her smile and stories we shared tonight will remain in my heart.

No comments: