Friday, January 26, 2007

What you did, knew, and know?

I remember being 17 and thinking I had it ALL figured out. Life was fun for me. I've been caught on many occassions saying "If I were only 17 again"! That was such a fun year for me. I graduated high school, had TONS of friends, and didn't really have a care in the world. I wasn't going to college after high school and really, I was a social butterfly.

I thought at 17 I knew it all. However, I was caught at this age telling someone that my mother knew EVERYTHING. Believe me, I have lived to regret that comment. She likes to bring it up often. ;o)

I was part of the whole 'dating' scene and never turned anyone down. I looked at it as an opportunity to get to know another person to hang out with. I truly loved life. Sure....I loved having no responsibility and living carefree.

I knew it couldn't last forever though. By the time I turned 18, which wasn't long after I graduated I had landed a job in a bank that kept me within the banking industry for 12 years. Still, I thought I knew it all at 18.

Life has a funny way of showing you just how much you DON'T really know and putting things in perspective for you.

Still, at age 33, I don't know it all and I long to know more. But it's a different type of knowledge now...then it was at 17. Some are still the same, I still long to know the ways of the world, but now my perspective is what can I do to contribute to this society that my children are growing up in. I still long to have friends, but now I long to find quality and not quantity. I still long to be that social butterfly, but I want to do it making a difference in the lives of others.

It's just amazing how perspective changes over time.

Maybe my next post should be about "What I want and what HE wants from me!" How can I fit that in!

Hummm...still thinking...to be continued!

No comments: