Wednesday, October 15, 2008

I am more than a seed....

I'm a flower!

What is your favorite flower?

Mine is a Stargazer Lilly. They are beautiful, colorful, each petal opens in a different direction, has a heavenly scent, and no matter what the occasion, happy or sad, they say what needs to be said. These flowers stand out! They are bold, beautiful and dramatic and they make a statement wherever they are. This flower is upbeat and can conform to whatever occasion is necessary. Mixed with other flowers, they are sure to make a beautiful bouquet, but still stand out among the rest.

A little history on Lilies:
The Stargazer is an oriental hybrid. They have traditionally represented innocence and purity. White stargazer lilies represent purity of the heart and sympathy. Pink ones represent wealth and prosperity. In the 1920's they found that these flowers were easy to grow and produce a dramatic effect! To grow them they need full sun and little shade! They grow in the summer, become very tall, and needed consistent water. They are called "stargazers" because their blooms look up to the sky! The Oriential meaning of the stargazer is "I see Heaven in your eyes"

I believe that Jesus enjoyed flowers just as much as I do.
There is a bit of controversy in regards to how many flowers are mentioned in the Bible. Most of that could be solved by explaining the translation you are reading. I can find 7 different types of flowers are mentioned in one translation or another. Anemone, Crocus, Cyclamen, Hyacinth, Iris, Lily, Narcissus, Star-of-Bethlehem, and Tulip. I would venture to say that the Lily is flower remembered by most.

"I am the rose of Sharon and the lily of the valleys" (Song of Solomon 2:1 KJV)

Even the wilderness and desert will be glad in those days. The wasteland will rejoice and blossom with spring crocuses. Yes, there will be an abundance of flowers and singing and joy! The deserts will become as green as the mountains of Lebanon, as lovely as Mount Carmel or the plain of Sharon. There the Lord will display his glory, the splendor of our God. Isaiah 35:1-2 (New Living Translation)

"And why do you worry about clothes? See how the lilies of the field grow. They do not labor or spin. Yet I tell you that not even Solomon in all his splendor was dressed like one of these. “(Matthew 6:27-29)

For you have been born again, not of perishable seed, but of imperishable, through the living and enduring word of God. For, "All men are like grass, and all their glory is like the flowers of the field; the grass withers and the flowers fall, but the word of the Lord stands forever." And this is the word that was preached to you. (1 Peter 1:23-25 )

So wouldn’t you like to be like the lilies that God speaks of?
If I look back that the top and see the things that are radiant about the Stargazer I would love to imagine myself as these “beautiful, colorful, growing in various directions, have a heavenly scent, stand out, bold, dramatic, upbeat, pure of heart mix well with others, stand out among the rest, and make a statement wherever I am.”

If I want to be like a beautiful Startgazer Lily, I have to grow in areas where God already has me planted. I need to stand in the Son…not the Sun…to get plenty of light. I need to be watered and fed. Standing in the shadows won’t get me anywhere. When I bloom in God’s light, I want to look to the sky, just as the Lily does. And what if there is nobody to water my seed to help me grow?? Then I pray that God sends the rain!
Let someone See Heaven in your eyes today!

2 comments:

Lindsay said...

You are a beautiful flower in His garden. As He waters you, even if it comes in the form of rain in a storm, may you grow ever stronger and more beautiful under His care.

Love you!

Hannah said...

wow! sooo true. I want to be a lily! Thanks for being a lily in your own unique way. you are such an encourager. Even when ur growing through the rains of a storm u still grow towards heaven and u encourage us, me, to grow right along with you. May we continue to water eachother, let God water us, and grow towards heaven.
love you!