Friday, March 02, 2007

$20.00 waisted...or not???

I got a phone call from the school nurse today regarding Ian.

Nurse: Mrs. Hughes, I have Ian in the office and he says that his lungs are hurting.
Me: Hurting? How?
Nurse: I listened to them and they sound muffeled and have a popping sound.
Me: A POPPING SOUND? Did he eat rocks for lunch?
Nurse: (not laughing) I really think this is serious. I listened and I don't like what I hear.
Me: Seriously? Are you sure he is not faking?
Nurse: I'm not sure he could possibly fake what I heard. I really think you should come get him.

Next move...I call the doctor and relive this phone call. They said to bring him in.

I made arrangements for my mother to take the other two home and I pick Ian up. He looks totally fine to me. I even listened to his lungs and DID NOT hear anything but beautiful clear lungs. He's just truly excited to be going home.

AHHHH HAAA! I think I've figured out that this is not for real...and I have no idea what this nurse was thinking.

So here is the next conversation:
Ian: Mom...where are we going?
Me: To the Doctor's office.
Ian: WHAT???? ARE YOU SERIOUS?
Me: Yes...why?
Ian: MOM..I THINK THE SOUND IS NOW GONE FROM MY CHEST.
Me: Oh no...there's no possible way that it could be gone. I mean...when your lungs are sick, they are really sick. They may have to put you in the hospital if it is bad enough. (Then I proceeded to start using a lot of big medical words he did not know)
Ian: Really mom, I think we can just go home. I don't want you to have to waste your money at the Doctors office.
Me: Why would I be wasting it? Your not faking it are you?
Ian: No! It was really that bad!
Me: Then it's bad enough for you to go to the doctor.

I'm sure by now you've figured out...he's faking it.
We get there and the doctor is running behind...which makes me happy. It will make his wait even longer.

Ian: Mom, can we get something to eat or drink after this?
Me: No, I just spent my last $20.00 until next payday.
Ian: You didn't just spend it on this visit did you??>
Me: Yeah!

After waiting in the lobby for over an hour, we are finally called back. I think by my tone of voice and eye contact the doctor knew exactly what I was doing by bringing Ian in.
Ian starts to panic when the doctor wants to look at him. He was worrying so much and asking the doctor a million questions that the doctor got fed up with him and walked out. He told Ian, "When you are ready to sit down and let me look at you, then I'll be back"
IAN WAS SHOCKED!!!!

He realized that he was being very rude to the doctor and that is why he left. It was such a shock that it made a huge impact on him.
The doctor came back in and said:
"Ian, I just had to figure out who was going to be the adult in the room. You wouldn't let your mom, and you wouldn't let it be me, and I didn't think it was a good idea for an 11 year old to be making all the rules, so I had to leave because there wasn't enough room in here for both of us being adults."

Ian apologized and he let him go through with the examintaion.

And can you guess....THERE WAS NOTHING WRONG WITH HIM!!!!

Guess there were many lessons learned here, so the $20.00 wasn't really wasted afterall.

No comments: