Tuesday, December 11, 2007

Living in Darkness

I sit here today and continue to watch my tree tumble in the yard. We had recently decorated the yard for the neighborhood light contest. After driving around, we are just sure that we could take first or a good second place. Our house looked like a runway for planes. That's even scary knowing the planes fly over our house for take off and landings.
Now I look out and I just see a mess. The lights are broken, the snowman is dead and it's just a big pile of rubble.

Groups of men come to my door nearly every hour offering to clean up my yard. It's all for a nice fee of course. Fortunately, I'm still young enough and have a great husband and with our teamwork combined, we've managed to get a lot of it done. In the rain and all. Everyday, more branches fall off. The big ones are just hanging by a thread and waiting for a gust of wind to blow them down.

I think I have been overworked this week at work. Long hours and late hours. We implemented the external disaster plan (also called a CODE YELLOW) and that means everyone that is able should be prepared to come into work. I was one of those that had to go in and although we were extremely busy, I was able to help get a lot accomplished yesterday.

I was able to leave about 3:00am and I have to say, I cried all the way home.
I didn't turn the radio on, I didn't call anyone.

I was driving in the biggest fog I have ever seen. There was no power, no lights, and just a small glimpse of the white lines on the road. That was my only sense of direction. I felt like I was living something out of a Stephen King book.
I could not drive over 15mph the entire way. I couldn't see the path in front of me. Would I hit a car? A tree? Power lines? Was there even a road before me?

This is probably the most scared and alone I have ever felt in my life. I could hear my heart beating louder than the crackles of ice on the ground. About every 1/2 mile down the road, I would see a small light that would guide my way. I would stop and take a breath. If I could see a light, I felt like I wasn't alone.

I prayed quite a bit last night during my journey home. Living in darkness is not a good thing. it was the most horrifying moment in my life.
I was very thankful when I reached home. Somewhere safe away from all harm.

I think there was a very valuable lesson learned from last night!

1 comment:

Theresa said...

right now I'm warm and it is light... and it's thanks to you. Thank you for sharing!

Love you!