Tuesday, December 25, 2007

I made a difference!!!

I am the luckiest person that I know.

In 2003, Chad started a book for me. It was originally for my 30th birthday. He took it to over 90 people and had them write something about me.

Now, I didn't even think I knew 90 people, but apparently I do.
From time to time, when I am having a bad day, I will take the book off the shelf in the living room and read it. It gives me new hope for the day and the future.

For Christmas this year, Chad had more entries added to the book. (with the help of Theresa) So now it has over 100 entries of the most beautiful things from the most beautiful people. Some make me laugh and some make me cry. It's truly a great gift in more ways that one.

I am so blessed.

I'm blessed more than I can ever know.
We live in such a world where everything is monetary. But words are not.

When we say words of love, we can do it in so many ways. We speak words, we sing words, we write words, and yet, they are so eloquent. I love it because everyones words are so unique. Some are poets, some are more literal, and some are just simply blunt and straight forward. Telling someone how much you love them is one of the most precious jewels that you can give someone. Some people are good at this, some are shy. I, for one, love to tell people how much they mean to me. I love to see people feel better about themselves knowing that I love them. One of the greatest gifts to me everyday is knowing that someone appreciates the fact that I love them.

When we receive words it's not always the same. When we are face to face with our friends, it is so easy (if they are honest) to know how they feel. When we receive an e-mail, it's difficult at times to detect tone. Of course, that is, if you are good with all the little smiley faces that go with e-mails, text, and such. When we receive letters or cards in the mail, it's exciting, since this is not always the preferred form of communicating in these days of technology.

One person that really stands out to me is my friends Theresa. When she talks to me, she doesn't tell me all the good, but she tells me the bad too. She knows how to communicate in such a way where she is bluntly honest, but doesn't hurt my feelings. She has been an excellent teacher for me on how to communicate with others. She has taught me how to be more open and honest. Especially honest. When I ask her opinion, she loves me enough to give me her honest opinion right then. Not make me wait around and wonder what she's really thinking. This is what I love about her. In everything she does, she makes me feel like a better person, while helping me to become a better person.

Do you know I have over 100 friends? Every person that wrote something to me has affected me somehow in someway in my life. I couldn't ever ask for anything more than that.

All I've cared about for so long is making a difference in the lives of others. This Christmas, the gift I received was knowing that....I did it. More than 100 times.

2 comments:

Theresa said...

Seriously... make me cry, why don't ya.

I love you, Bren.

Lindsay said...

Brenda,

Add me to that list of 100+ people you have impacted. I have been so encouraged by how honest you are in your posts. I wish I was better at simply being who I am without considering what others will think about it. Thank you for encouraging me to do that, though you may not have even known you were doing it.

I promise, one of these days I will remember to come find you at church so that we can officially meet. :-)

Until then, my new friend...

Lindsay