Sunday, December 17, 2006

How about Love?

Let's talk about Love for a moment.

Is love conditional or unconditional?
Do you choose to give love only to those you know, or do you give it away?

I believe that Jesus gave love away in the most unselfish and compassionate way. It was the unconditional love that most people long for.

Love is such a good, but odd word to me. I love the word love. I love to love those around me. I love to let others know how much I love them. However, I haven't always been comfortable with that.

I didn't grow up in a family where we practice saying 'I Love You' to each other. We don't say it every time we are together and we don't say the usual 'I Love You' at the end of a phone call.
Actually, hearing it from my family is a bit odd. Even saying it back is odd for me. It is uncomfortable. I grew up in a family that showed their love by their actions. Does it make them love me any less? I don't believe so. But I believe we miss out on opportunities to tell each other how much we love one another. Our days are numbered and we won't always have that many opportunities to SHOW love...so why not say it?

I have no problem telling my friends how much I love them. I think Jesus was a man who walked around loving everyone He met. He knew His father had a plan.

So...shouldn't it be the same for us? Shouldn't my actions reflect Jesus' love to everyone around me....to the world that I embrace?

Offering my love to someone is a choice and I can choose to love someone...or I can choose to hold it back. But why would I do that? What is so great about me that I can't or wouldn't share my love?

I want others to know I'm a follower of Jesus by the Love that I show to them. I pray that others see what my Father sees in me.

2 comments:

Theresa said...

I see love every time I see you. You unselfishly want good for everyone whose lives touch yours, and it is amazing to watch. You're inspiring.

And I love you dearly!

Josh said...

The hardest thing about love and giving it away is that so many people exploit it. Jesus' love nailed Him to a cross, scorned by many, yet He still loved.