Friday, December 22, 2006

The Cross


My husband Chad grew up in a Lutheran church. When we were dating he said he really didn't mind where we went to church as long as we were on the same page together and were the to worship God. He was not attached to his denomination. At the time, I didn't go to church at all. I was following in my families footsteps of choosing no church or religion at all. However, I couldn't stay away for long.

The one thing that Chad ask me all the time is this....
"Why aren't there any crosses hanging in the church?"

I don't know how to answer this question as to 'why' we don't have some, we just don't. But this is one of the things he misses greatly from his childhood church growing up.

Last night we were watching a church on TV and many times they panned in on the cross in the church as a reflection to the praises going up. It was nice to just sit and look at this old rugged cross they had placed there.

During this we started talking about how nice it would be to have crosses hanging in our church.

What about a wall of crosses? Or crosses just randomly placed throughout the building. Not necessarily that the church just buys and hangs up....but more so...a cross brought by the families of our congregation. Maybe in honor of someone, Maybe it meant something to them. Wouldn't it be neat to have all different kinds of crosses hanging up? Big ones, little ones, shiny ones, dull ones, old ones, and new ones. The cross is symbolic to everyone in a different way....and it is something I would love to see in our congregation.

It maybe a silly idea...but what a great way to honor my father...by remembering the cross.

1 comment:

Jeanne said...

I love crosses too! In fact, I collect them. The cross has been a study topic of mine long before the movie, The Passion, and I find more meaning in it all the time. I love the fact that God used a device of shame and torture to deliver the best love gift man could ever try to comprehend. I love the fact that God used a device that was suppose to be the final say in a person's life to deliver a holy "and now for the rest of the story..." moment for all of eternity! I love the fact that the crosses I collect are all empty, because the cross, the tomb, and death itself could not keep my Savior from being with me!