Friday, August 11, 2006

Sinking sand?

Tonight I watched the movie "The Second Chance" about an inner-city church who struggles with many different issues. My heart was certainly pierced by this movie. If you have not seen it, I highly reccommend it!!!

At one point in the movie, they talk about this song:

My hope is built on nothing less than Jesus' blood and righteousness.
I dare not trust the sweetest frame, but wholly lean on Jesus' name.
On Christ the solid rock I stand,

all other ground is sinking sand;
all other ground is sinking sand.

What am I built on? Do I build on sinking sand? Tonight it was ever so present as Chad and I were driving around looking at homes. We want to move to a nicer home, nicer area, and would love to be in a better situation. Am I looking for that sinking sand? Why can't I be content where I am? It makes me think that right now...maybe I'm not standing on solid rock!
It's like the song says...all other ground is sinking sand. If God is not at the center and core of my foundation, I am not on God's solid rock.

How is it that I am serving today? Do I serve to gain something?
Am I living a life that is so comfortable that I'm not willing to get a little gravy on my shoes and show that I'm doing that the Lord wants me to do?

All of these thoughts pondered in my head and SOOO many more after watching this movie. It was conviciting and I want to make sure that I'm doing what he has commanded me to do in every aspect of my life.

And for the remainder of that song:

When Darkness veils his lovely face, I rest on his unchanging grace.
In every high and stormy gale, my anchor holds within the veil.

When he shall come with trumpet sound, O may I then in him be found!
Dressed in his righteousness alone, faultless to stand before the throne!


2 comments:

Shane Coffman said...

Brenda -

I'm familiar with your struggle. Our flesh wants things just a little bit nicer or newer or more plentiful than what we have, and our spirit reminds us that these things won't necessarily make us any happier or more fulfilled. Every dollar I committ to salve the flesh is another dollar that is unavailable for kingdom work should the opportunity arise.

I'm not trying to lay any guilt on you - just letting you know I struggle with the same principle.

Anonymous said...

Very nice site! » » »