Tuesday, July 10, 2007

Confidence or not!

I was called into work today for about 7 hours. I wasn't looking forward to it, but the paycheck is always nice. I try to find the value of me working extra days. I feel God puts me there for some reason.

Today I had a young patient with CP. She couldn't communicate but I was told she loved little mermaid. She was sad, scared, and didn't seem like anything could help her deal with her fear and sadness.

So I closed the curtain and sat down with her and started to sing:
"Look at this stuff, isn't it neat, wouldn't you think my collection's complete...." and her eyes lit up. I couldn't just leave it at that, I had to finish the song. I sang through the entire song and when I was finished, I had an audience behind the curtain listening in. I found great meaning in the words of this song and I think she does too.

It was a precious moment for this young one and I look forward to her going home but if I see her again this week, I'll be excited to sing Disney to her anytime.

I met with my new vocal coach yesterday. He asked me:
"What do you want to do with your talent?"
I said "I don't know....I'm not sure I'm really good enough to do anything with it"

Today, I think I found out what I can do with that!

3 comments:

Jeanne said...

Oh, Brenda!!!!!!!!! Here I am crying my eyes out and it's only 8:30 in the morning!!!!!!!! I am amazed how you bring calm, hope, and peace into a world that can be so scary! I know why God called you into nursing. So many people would have just walked into that room and done their job, they would have been kind and nice, but they wouldn’t have taken the time to look into the heart of the patient and minister to them. You are an awesome nurse and now I know just what Jesus would look like as a nurse! I love you so much. You help me stretch and grow in Him!

Terry Rush said...

You, my friend, are surely the Going Home Nurse! What a perfect and touching story of Jesus mixing with those of the day. This is one of the best things I ever read.

Much love....now!

Brenda said...

Update to the story: I went back to work a few days later, and she was better and had been sent home! Praise God!