Friday, June 16, 2006

EKG, Lunch & Spirituality!

Today I had the pleasure of spending my day at Hillcrest. I was in the EKG department all day and it was a blast. I know that hospital forward and backward now and boy, did I ever get my exercise going from floor to floor. Before I knew it, five hours had passed by and it was time for lunch. Then after lunch, time to go home. It was a great day!!!
I was fortunate to be able to participate in part of the Hospital's "Lunch and Learn" series today. The topic covered was "Spirituality in the Medical Atmosphere". I was quite interested. Even though I have my beliefs on this, it was really nice to see the case studies completed and the research on what effect spirituality can have on a believing patient vs. non believing. Not saying they all believe in God, but most of them believing in a higher power. The mortality rates of patients who were prayed for vs the ones that were not prayed for was incredible. And even moreso those that prayed for themselves. But I was most intrigued with the power of prayer by intercession. The fact that there was a study compiled where patients did not know they were being prayed for specifically and their health increased tremendously. Now, do I doubt this? Absolutely not. I beieve that God works in all things. There were a couple of skeptics in the room that believed it was all by coincidence, but I do believe that when you ask, you shall receive and if these patients were prayed for and got better, then I think that was by God's doing. Doesn't matter weather or not the patient believed in the theory. The fact is that it happened. I'm glad we have a God that is big enough to handle my small prayers. Even when I, or anyone else think they are so overwhelming...He proves to me over and over that He will always prevail. It just works out better that way.

No comments: