Wednesday, June 02, 2010

Lie...or not to lie? That is the question!

I am faced with so many different experiences and people at work. Last night has been one of my favorite "funny yet akward" moments thus far. While working with a patient he decides to break the silence with this question:
"So, when is your baby due?"

As my heart started to race, I quickly said the first thing that popped into my mind...
"In about 6 months"

I proceeded with his examination and prayed he would not ask me any more questions. In laughing about this, I told my kids this morning what the man said and they they scolded me for lying to him. WHAT???

Okay, yes! I felt so bad for lying to the man, but I couldn't fathom hurthing his feelings or embarassing him at all. He's already in the hospital and wasn't feeling well so why add to his misery right?
As I tried to explain this to the kids, they had no compassion on me at all. I was still in trouble.

So I asked the kids...."what should I have said?"

Ian said: "You should have said you just had one" .....(isn't that still a lie?)

Emilie said: "I would have punched him"

Lukus said: "Mom...you did the right thing! You'll probably never see him again anyway"

I think I'll side with Lukus!

Colossians 3:12
Therefore, as God's chosen people, holy and dearly loved, clothe yourselves with compassion, kindness, humility, gentleness and patience.

No comments: